Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Our old friend


Spike has been an important part of our family for 18 years and this weekend we have had to say good-bye to him....I remember the day that we brought him home from the Grandparents house (along with his sister Tinkerbell) Spike was Matt's kitten and Tinkerbell was Melissa's. They were adorable kitties. Tinkerbell was cross-eyed with beautiful long hair. Spike was short haired & large! When people saw him, they were amazed at how muscular he was, how large his feet were! He was always wandering around the yard looking for birds to catch or cats that didn't belong in his yard. His ears were a testament to his fighting days. I don't think he lost many fights in his youth.
I looked up the average life span of a cat on google today and it seems (through a very complicated method) that Spike was 78 years old which is unheard of for a cat that has lived outside a good part of his life.
It's hard to lose a friend who has been so loyal and giving. He gave us love and entertainment for every day of his life. It was very hard to call Matt to tell him that Spike was gone. I have not turned the light out of his bedroom yet.
Good Bye Old Friend.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Spike is a great cat!

Kim said...

He was a trooper till the end. I enjoyed this blog post Susie.

Melissa said...

So sorry. That is a really great picture of Spike, cute old guy.