Saturday, October 13, 2012

DC Trip day 2

 This is Randy our very wonderful tour guide. He did a devotional thought for us each morning as we drove to our first destination stop. I really valued these moments. He gave the students an over view of what they would see and what the historical importance would be. He linked each stop to the next. He is a walking encyclopedia...actually, a walking Google (when it came to history!)
 The Capitol Building! We had an amazing tour through  the House of Representatives and The Senate.  Here are only a few photos of the inside... I will post more of them at a later time!


 The pictures below were taken in front of the Supreme Court. The people who have red tape on their mouths are a group that have been protesting in front for at least 10years, seven days a week, 24 hours a day. They stand quietly with tape over their mouths praying for the unborn. They are a group of all ages. It is a peaceful protest against Roe v. Wade.
 Our students stood with them and prayed for them and their safety.
 This is inside the Library of Congress! It is a beautiful building & I have lots more pics of this too!

 The picture below is of the students on the front steps (not really) of the Capitol  You see the true steps are closed for construction of the Inaguration Stage! If you look close you can see that they have begun building it! Riley is center front in sun glasses.
 This is just one picture of the WWII Memorial.  We saw it at night and it was very impressive.
 The Pentagon Memorial...It was very moving to see it. These are benches that are for each of the victims who died on Sept 11th.
 Not sure when this was taken! Just showed up & couldn't move it!!! I think Ri took a self portrait!
 This is the Air Force Memorial. 3 Spires that represents the missing man formation that is flown when a member has perished.It is near the Pentagon & is in the same flight pattern of the plane that hit the Pentagon.
We also saw the Holocaust Museum, the Supreme Court & the Iwo Jima Memorial which is also the Marine Corp Memorial.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Your tour guide sounds great! What a wealth of knowledge! And the library of Congress? How cool is that?

Janet said...

I am loving the pictures! I feel like I am practically there!