August 3rd has always been a monumental day in my family. I am sure many families have the same situation as we do...Today would have been my Grandad's 107th birthday if he were still alive, it is my brother Tim's 49th birthday and it is also Tim's Grandson's birthday (I am not exactly sure how old he is...maybe 4?) When Grandad was alive we would all get together for his birthday and celebrate, I have pictures of his 94th Birthday party, August 3rd, 1993...Tim was here for a family visit and there were alot of people at the party. We looked like we had a good time! This was Grandad's last birthday, he passed away January 31st, 1994. My Grandfather had a great and long life. He was a very brilliant and kind man. He had outlived 2 wives that he had loved and had cared for very well. My Dad died when I was 12 and he stepped in and helped my Mom with repairs around our house. (I especially remember him repairing the bathroom floor) I only remember him raising his voice once to us as kids and we deserved it! When I tell people who knew him that he was my Grandfather I only hear great things about him...what a legacy he left us! I have a swing that he built for my Gramma Jessie in my backyard. He built it from car parts and 2 bed frames. It was built to last forever and it will!!! I feel very fortunate that my family decided I should have it after Grandad died...I have great memories from my childhood because of my Grandparents!
My Brother Tim lives in the Rochester, New York area and I haven't seen him since I took him and his family to the Reno Airport in 1993... this makes me sad because so much has happened in the last 15 years. I would like to introduce him to my Grandchildren...I would like to meet his Grandson! It is so hard to believe that that many years have passed since that birthday party.
I wonder if we would have done or said things differently if we would have known that it was the last time we were going to be together...Just tells you how much we need to treasure those special date and times we spend together as a family.......
2 comments:
Thank you for sharing the significance of Aug.3rd in your family. I may have heard that story before but I don't remember that all those birthday are on the same day! Kind of ironic. I hope that you can see your brother sooner rather than later too. Did you call him today?
This was such a trip down memory lane! Great post, brought a big smile to my face.
Mel
Post a Comment