Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hot Winds, Fire and just a bunch of rambling!!!

The last few days have been very busy! I am trying to get ready to have company at my house and this always puts me into a cleaning frenzy! If I could be more diligent about the dust and clutter I wouldn't have to be this way and I always think "Now I will be able to keep up on this stuff" and I just don't! I guess it really isn't a huge priority to me to have the immaculate house!
This week I have gone through drawers, cupboards and shelves and thrown or given away a bunch of stuff! I probably could do this every day for a month and go back and do it again the next month and still have way too much junk! I bought new filters for my vacuum when I realized that it really didn't seem to make much a difference when I pushed the beast around! I would love to buy one of those Dysons that don't need bags or filters!!! Maybe someday! The hot winds have made me very edgy today. Fire has always freaked me out! Yesterday we had a fire on West Anderson Drive that burned about 200 acres(thankfully no structures) and there were a couple of fires in the Redding area, one in Millville, two in the Shingletown area. Today, we had a house burn in Churn Creek Bottom which caused evacutations of many people, damage to another home and a couple of outbuilding destroyed. The weather man predicts that this hot blast of wind will end tomorrow (Redding was 109 degrees today with wind gusts of 41 mph) and that we will be cooling off by Sunday. This is probably the first time in my life that I am actually praying for a good rain storm (without lightning) . We really need the water and the relief from the drought conditions. I noticed on the past weekend that so many oak trees are brown and losing their leaves. I hope they are not all dying and are just dry and going into autumn mode early...
Our Firefighters are doing an awesome job to keep life and property safe.
I am looking forward to seeing many of my favorite people on Saturday...our 3rd of July celebration on August 30th!!! For those of you who are too far away to be able to come, I will miss you. Maybe I will be able to get some great fireworks pics to share with you!!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Take lots of pictures for us. I can't believe we are missing this annual bash. Nothing has ever kept us away before! We will miss seeing you all. Have a great time.

Kim said...

I for one will be there. No one else in the family seems to want to commit before tomorrow. Oh well, their loss.

I heard on the news recently that the trees are putting themselves into a self induced survival mode because of the hot weather and drought. They aren't dying according to what I heard.

Good job on getting so much accomplished this week!!